Sunday, January 29, 2012

Afraid of the future - part I

Last thursday when my package with my new pittys arrived I wasn´t at home. My wife got the mail and A and V was with her and when A saw a big white envelope he started to question her about it.
He wanted to open it and he wanted it bad.

She had to tell him in a very seriously tone that it was adressed to Dad and that it is a crime to open somebody elses mail.
She knew what was in the letter.

She is pretty used to it by now. Big white envelopes. With cars. Not for her kids.

But this time it was close. I had once let A open a letter that was for my wife and this was something that he remembered now. So it got hard for my wife. Why then but not now?

She did an extraordinary job and managed to stop A from further questions and when I came home later, he´d forgot all about that envelope.

But the whole thing ot me thinking of what would happen if A or V found out about the cabinet in the garage. And, the larger question, when or if I should give the collection away to them?

How will they react? It depends of course when I´ll do it.

This is how I´d like them to react. Maybe when they are 6 and 8? But then they´ll destroy all the cars playing with them. Kids can´t handle toys.


This is what´ll happen if I wait too long. When they are 14 and 16. But the good thing is that they´ll probably keep the cars in mint condition - since they´ll totaly ignore them.
But there´s a large risk that they´ll sell it all on the internet just to buy petrol to their mopeds.


If I wait even longer - say when they´re 20 and 22 - they´ll probably put me in a mental institution. 
V would say something like "Dad. I got a brain disease. I real diagnosis. What´s wrong with you?" 

Nah. I´d better keep this secret for good.



3 comments:

  1. Todd, I started collecting at age 10 (almost typed 100 there). At first, I played with the cars. I never smashed them together intentionally, but some cars did get minor chips and Tex Dinoco still has no mirror to this day. At about age 12, I realized that the cars were valuable as well as fun and began to take better care of them. All I can suggest is to show your kids when you think they will be able to understand that the cars are fun to play with, but they must be treated with care and respected as a collection as well. By the way, that's an amazing drawing! You're quite the artist. I love the way you make the cars interact with your drawings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to mention in there that I am now 14, I have collected cars for over 4 years

      Delete
  2. Thank you! It´s nice of you to share your collector story! And, no, I´m no artist but I like to draw and with this technique - the main caracter is always beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete