Sunday, February 19, 2012

Afraid of the future - part II

A solution is presented. Perhaps.




I got an brilliant answer to my dilemma - when or if I shall reveal my secret car collection for my kids.

My friend A.L. who lives in the outmost northern parts of Sweden remeber his father and a very VERY special toy of his.

"My Dad had a Märklin-railroad with tracks, locomotives, coaches and the whole shabang. All from the late fifties and forward. Mint condition collected during many years. In our family it was part of the Christmas tradition that we were allowed to put out the big cardboard box and carefully, carfully take out the paper boxes with the large locomotive, the small locomotive, the large electric train, the passenger coaches, the timber coach, the oil car, the beer car (!), the open cargo car with the volkswagon Beetle on... well you get it.
It was only permitted to bring this stuff out when dad was present. All the same playing with it. And we were to drive slowly.
I´cant really remember when this happened the first time. But when I was in my younger teens I got the trust to bring out the railroad by myself. And first now, as I´m writing this, I remebered what I used to do. Damn shitty kid that I apperently was.
Obviously I wanted to stage deralis and disasters.
With a Märklin-railroad in mint condition from the fifties.
Oh my god.
But luckily they´re solid toys. It only got some scratches in the painting. But anyway.

Darn. I wrote you because I wanted to convince you that you can learn children to fascinate and to take good care of nice stuff. But now, I´ve only convinced you the other way, that they will smash your cars sooner or later.

No. It doesnt have to be that way.

Dad shouldn´t have let med have access to the railrod in the teens. But I realize now whey he did.

It wasnt that important to him anymore.

Thus: It is possible to convey the feeling of worship and respect. So I wote for six and eight year. Or maybe five or seven. Then you put a fat lock on the cabinet and make the opening something that only happens with special occasions. Since they have cars of their own to play with I assume they could enjoy their dads cars, just to look at.

A very interessting dilemma.
And crazy"

Amen dear A.L! Amen!
And thank you for the beautiful memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment